Hard Drive suddenly hanging

bowie 08:55 20 May 06

Hi all,
got a new hard drive at christmas with a new copy of xp,put it in loaded all the software after loading xp,five months later the drive hangs with the hdd light on all the time,i had to force a shutdown,when i reboot the drive does not exist,i sometime have to reboot several times to see the drive, other times it will reboot normaly,
any ideas

wobblymike 09:48 20 May 06

assuming you have checked the security of all the cables connecting the drive to the mobo, it sounds like it may be on its way out. I would suggest before you do anything else that you back up your data while you can and once you have done that run a hard drive check program to determine its status.

vinnyT 10:54 20 May 06

Go to the HD makers site, maxtor, western digital, etc. On the site there will/should be diagnostic software for you to download (maxtor=PowerMax). Read instructions and run to check the integrity of your drive, this should tell you if there is a problem with the drive.

As wobblymike, backup before you run ant tests.

Hope this helps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…