Hard drive start up issues

Jules1980 08:51 09 Feb 06

My PC upon starting from cold starts recognising the attached hardware, picks up the master and slave optical drives but fails to recognise the hard drive, if you restart it immediately, it boots up and recognises the optical drives, hard drive and away you go.

Similarly, if your restart it once it's up and running or even turn it off completely and turn it back on again all is fine.

A friend of mine in IT support thought it might just be that the hard drive was not spinning up fast enough from cold to boot up properly.

Is this likely to be the case? And if so, is it worth worrying about - it's a new pc and has done this since we first switched it on - i'm loathe to call anybody out under the warranty if i don't have to.

Cheers

Skills 09:55 09 Feb 06

The explanation your friend gave you could well be the case but given that its a new machine it shouldnt be the case. I would get onto the support if it was me.

Gongoozler 10:17 09 Feb 06

Your friend is almost certainly correct. It's not uncommon for a hard drive to be slow to spin up from cold, but it shouldn't happen with a new drive. If your BIOS has an option to enable/disable quick power on self test (POST), then if you disable it this may give the hard drive more time to get up to speed.

Jules1980 12:25 09 Feb 06

Thanks very much ladies & gents, i'll get back to the supplier and take it up with them

rmcqua 12:52 09 Feb 06

Also, if you modify the BIOS boot preferences so that the HDD is the second or third boot option nstead of the first, this will give the HDD a bit more time (though it will slow down your startup).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…