Hard drive speed.

Mark10 18:43 13 Jun 06

Hello all,
I currently have 2 HDD on my primary IDE channel. The slave is ATA33 and the master is an ATA100. They are connected with an ATA100 compatible 80wire cable. Can I ask, will the slower drive be dragging down the faster drive? The MOBO supports ATA33, 66, 100.
Thanks.

ed-0 20:18 13 Jun 06

No.

Running XP. Then check their " current transfer rates" and not their maximum manufactured rates.

Right click my computer > properties > device manager > IDE ATA / ATAPIE controllers > pick your channel > advanced settings.

These are the transfer settings for your hard drives. Expect around Ultra MA 4 for the ATA100 and either Ultra DMA2 or pio4 for the ATA 33 drive.

The problem of one drive slowing the other was combated by dual FiFo ( first in first out ), I think?

You can test this by going to pcpitstop and puting the machine through it's tests. Make sure you defrag the drives before testing;-)

DieSse 21:37 13 Jun 06

As ed-0 says the answer is no - all modern IDE controllers on motherboards support independant drive timing.

Mark10 21:43 13 Jun 06

Thanks Guys, will mark as resolved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…