Hard Drive Spec?

Dazwm 13:32 20 Jul 03

I am buying a new 120gb hard drive, I know it should be 7200rpm but what make is best and what is the difference between 2mb and 8mb buffer size. I want to spend about £100.

-pops- 13:48 20 Jul 03

I always use Maxtor drives. They've never let me down. They do as they are supposed to do. That is all you can ask!!

As for the size of cache (buffer), I don't think Maxtor do one of less than 8MB in a 120GB drive.

I would go for Maxtor DiamondMax Plus9 120GB 8MB Cache - OEM (HD-013-MD) from click here

£73.90 ex VAT, £86.83 inc. VAT

Brian

jimv7 13:48 20 Jul 03

8 mg buffer is best.

Dazwm 14:04 20 Jul 03

I know 8mb is probably best but what is it?

-pops- 14:44 20 Jul 03

A buffer can boost the speed of random writing - the larger the buffer the faster the writing speed. The same doesn't necessarily apply to reading speeds at large loads as reading is, of necessity, random.

Most modern drives tend towards 8MB buffers now with smaller buffers only appearing on older, slower drives.

Brian

-pops- 14:44 20 Jul 03

A buffer can boost the speed of random writing - the larger the buffer the faster the writing speed. The same doesn't necessarily apply to reading speeds at large loads as reading is, of necessity, random.

Most modern drives tend towards 8MB buffers now with smaller buffers only appearing on older, slower drives.

Brian

-pops- 14:46 20 Jul 03

Sorry about the stereo post. There's something messing about with the site this pm.

Mastermind 15:09 20 Jul 03

I always buy IBM Deskstars and I've never had a problem.

SEASHANTY 16:01 20 Jul 03

Note that all the drives shown on the Overclockers link above are all OEM drives. This means that you will just receive the bare drive. If you need the fixing screws, brackets, IDE cable and installation software disk then purchase a RETAIL BOXED hard drive.

Dazwm 16:03 20 Jul 03

Thank you all

-pops- 19:36 20 Jul 03

So used to buying OEM, I forgot about that. Thanks for bringing it up!

Sorry, Dazwm

Brian

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…