hard drive slowing?

hi, i think i may be being paranoid here, but it seems one of my hdds is getting slower, there are it is from a pc not 12 months old yet and i have put it in my vista system, this is the story:
had my initial hard drive an 80 gb 7200 rpm hitachi deskstar on a pc purchased last july, it's almost silent. added an internal 160gb 7200 hitachi deskstar as a slave, its noisey!
i have now botched a pc together as a vista test pc, the vista perfornance gives the 80 gb 5.3 and the 160 gb 5.4, i can live with that, made the 80 gb the slave. however, i ran pc pitstop and it found a problem, the 80 gb was very slow (22% of similar setups) the 160 gb was 72% of similar set ups!
it's fully defragged, has 51 gb free, smart reports healthy, checkdisk reports clean.
is it on the way out?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:41 27 Jun 07

Is it running in DMA or PIO mode?

Check the IDE channel in device manager. If PIO mode then uninstall the channel and then reinstall to get DMA (hopefully mode 5)

hi, cant see any details in device manager this is my vista pc! cant find anything other than policies and driver details, which seem ok. thanks for the reply.

to be honest, i have just ran pc pitstop again and this time it says my ram is unusally slow and the hard disks are a winner? it has 2gb of corsair 5300, so im guessing its either a vista of kaspersky thing, always found it a good program in the past, there's only games on the drive anyway, and i have the cds to them all.

oh i found it! its says
0 ata disk ultra dma mode 6
1 ata disk ultra dma mode 5

which means nothing to me!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:46 27 Jun 07

If the drive was having problems XP/Vista would drop it down a mode each time it struggled to read bad sectors.
As you have mode 6 and 5 your drives must be good.

right, thanks for the help.
adam

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…