Hard drive Slave position

J. I. 09:57 24 Nov 06

My daughter has received a used hard drive from her friend. The H.D has been formatted, it will be fitted as the slave H.D.The problem is she or i do not know how the jumper/jumpers should be placed in order for the computer to recognise it as the slave. The computer is a Tiny computer, 6yrs old with windows xp home service pack two installed. Your help gratefully appreciated

doveys 11:10 24 Nov 06

J.I.
Whilt most manufacturers conform to 'convention', it's difficult to be specific about jumper positions. Your best bet for this is to go to the manufactures site for the HDD and search on the model no., etc. Most manufacturers will have specs. showing jumper settings. Hope this helps.

leo49 12:08 24 Nov 06

Simply look at the HDD - all major HDD manufacturers place a little diagram on the HDD giving the jumper positions.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:51 24 Nov 06

Jumper postions for seagate drives click here

scroll to bottom of page for links to other manufactures' sites

J. I. 14:19 24 Nov 06

Opologies to fruit Bat i meant to include the HD type but forgot to mention it. The H.D is a Hitachi, the model number i will find out tomorrow from my daughter. Is it possible for you to direct me to the Hitachi web page with jumper information. I have tried but failed to locate it myself.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:34 24 Nov 06

click here
drive install guides.

jumper position is in the relevant guide sheet just pick your drive.

J. I. 15:15 24 Nov 06

Thanks Fruit Bat. Will get all relevant info tomorrow. The 3rd option cable support baffles me at the moment. Will keep you posted on outcome

J. I. 12:32 27 Nov 06

Update. Unable to carry out this w/end due some uncertaintancy on my part, was not sure of number of head settings this drive has. It was fitted as a Master before, Checking settings it matches a 16 logical head, so it follows i should set the slave to 16 logical head. Just one question if one managed to set the jumpers wrong will it damage the computer or hard disk? Hopefully will complete next w/end when i visit my daughter

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:35 27 Nov 06

Will not damage but cn cause PC not to boot.

If will not boot just disconnect and reboot.

J. I. 12:40 28 Nov 06

Thanks again Fruit Bat will keep yuo posted

J. I. 17:45 04 Dec 06

Hi Fruit Bat. The hard drive was sucessful on my daughters computer. Without your help in directing me to the hitachi info and jumper settings locations i would never have managed. Thank you for your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5