Hard drive size after formatting.

CraftyKT 01:17 27 Apr 03

I have recently bought a 123.5Gb hard drive for my computer. The bios appears to recognise the correct size, but after formatting and partitioning it there only appears to be 114Gb!!!!! This appears to be a large drop off in size and occurs whether I have one large partition or (as I would like to have) 2 partitions. I am using Win 98se, my motherboard is a pc chips M810 (not sure of the exact model - how do I find that out please?) Do you need any more info? I am intending to use it as my main drive, with the old 20Gb drive as a slave for back-up. Oh the new drive is a Hitachi deskstar 7200 rpm, 8m cache by the way.
Hope someone can help. I often read the messages, but have never posted a question before.

powerless 01:25 27 Apr 03

The 114GB is the true size of your hard drive as windows see's it.

I have a 120GB hard drive (as advertised) but when you stick it in a windows envioroment my drive is seen as a 111GB drive.

powerless 01:27 27 Apr 03

click here This should tell you the model of your motherboard plus lots of other stuff about your computer.

CraftyKT 01:42 27 Apr 03

Wow, you guys are quick.
I feel like windows has "stolen" some of my hard drive. I`m glad I bought such a large drive. Why does this not happen with smaller drives? It has no problem recognising my 20Gb drive as that.
Belarc doesn`t appear to give me the model of the mainboard, but it does give the bus speed and the bios type (AMI).

CraftyKT 01:57 27 Apr 03

My mistake. Windows actually sees this as 18.6Gb, so there is a loss of size there too. Still feel cheated though.

powerless 02:24 27 Apr 03

click here and download and install "AIDA32 - Personal System Information".

This *Should* tell you your motherboard that you have.

DieSse 02:37 27 Apr 03

The difference you see is in the two different numbering systems used. The ISO standard for numbers says that K (Kilo) = 1000 - M (Mega) = 1000000 - G (Giga) = 1000000000.

For historical reasons connected with the binary system computers have (and still do) used K = 1024 - this means M = 1048576 and G = 1073741824

Disk manufacturers use the ISO system - thus 123.5Gb is 123500000000 bytes but becomes 115 Gbytes on the K = 1024 scale.

So no actual capacity is actually being lost by formatting - it's just down to how they're counted.

You do lose a little data capacity, as a small amount is written to the disk by the format process - the file system tables take up some room - but then that's really part of your useage anyway, and nothing to do with the manufacturer, who simply gives you raw capacity to use as you wish.

If you open My Computer, and look at properties - you will see what I mean about the relation between actual bytes, and Gigaytes.

CraftyKT 10:57 27 Apr 03

Thankyou to everyone who has responded - and so quickly - to my query, I really appreciate it. Now I know there isn`t a problem I`ll carry on sorting out the new drive for use.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…