hard drive shows no free space

Davith 17:37 21 Oct 08

Using XP Home. I wish to format a Maxtor 6.8GB hard drive. The drive is recognised by the system and shown to be available. when a format is requested it appears to be taking place then comes up unable to format drive. Drive properties show no free space thus giving the effect of a read only drive. Do hard drives have attributes which can get clobbered. If so any ideas how to set attributes to allow both read and write. Thus allowing me to format same.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:05 21 Oct 08

If its showing as RAW then

Right Click on My Computer's icon, select Manage.
Click on Disk Management, find the drive that shows up as RAW on the right window, right click on it and choose assign a drive letter. Give one available drive letter from the pull down list. Confirm the operation.

cream. 18:13 21 Oct 08

Is this the only hard drive in the system, the one that holds the operating system?
If it is, then you cannot format the drive within windows.

Davith 14:52 27 Oct 08

It would appear that at some time in its history this 6.8 GB drive has been set up as a compressed drive. I managed to resolve the problem by installing Windows 98 on the drive (The Operating system that had been installed on it at one time in the past). Before the installation could commence a message cam up stating that the drive had been set up as a compressed or cached volume should installation br allowed to continue. Contined with installation, completed correctly. I was then able to put drive into my XP system and reformat as an NTFS drive now working ok.

Hopefully the above information might help some one else with a simlar problem.

Thanks for the couple of suggestions provided.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…