hard drive settings not remembered by bios

john-251419 18:21 08 Mar 03

Hi all, i have upgraded from win98 to win xp,if i switch the pc off all hard drive settings are lost in the bios. if i reset these it is ok even on reboot but shutting down loses them again. the cmos battery is ok at 3v. the m/board is a gigabyte ga-6vxc7-4x 466 celeron i have tried setting them to auto detect and the pc starts but after shutting down and restarting the setting has changed to user.
hope you can help
regards
renegade2

freakbrothers 19:01 08 Mar 03

Have you checked your motherboard.
Check near the actual CMOS battery, their should be a 'clear CMOS' Jumper. This should be visible, but will be shown also in the motherboard manual.

Make sure that the Jumper is set accordingly to the motherboard manual.

If wanting to reset, remove pin, or connect accordingly, and wait a few seconds, then replace to according jumper setting.

Hope that helps
freddy

cream. 19:07 08 Mar 03

If freakbrothers excellent suggestion does not do the trick.

You could try this. Enter the bios and set the hard drive from auto to manual. Save changes and exit. Some drives either do not spin up in time or dislike being auto detected. The above sorts this out.

john-251419 19:46 12 Mar 03

Hi people,i cleared the cmos and everything was ok. i tried to enter the settings manually but no luck as it would not allow this. thanks for your help.
renegade2

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…