Hard drive safely

Bike-it 21:48 16 Jan 15

I recently asked for help with this bit it is still a problem, so i bought a 2TB WD MY Passport external hard drive but when i click on "safely remove hard drive" it keeps telling me that there is a program or programs using the drive but noting is running, anyone here offer any help please.

wee eddie 22:31 16 Jan 15

Aye : Disconnect aftrr you've turn the Computer off

lotvic 23:29 16 Jan 15

Which WD software did you install?

rdave13 23:44 16 Jan 15

What does this "My Passport" program do? Same as lotvic 's question, as this might be something to do with encryption, so won't allow to safely remove.

Me, I buy a cheapo caddy and an oem cheapish drive and that's it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:49 17 Jan 15

If you have not stop it, the drive will have installed the MY Book backup system and will constantly be backing up your files to the disk in real time.

As I use imaging software for back up I stop this using the startup options in CCleaner

Bike-it 18:04 17 Jan 15

Iotvic as far as i know i didnt install any Wd software, how would i find out which if any software was installed? Fruitbat how did you stop it in CCleaner?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:41 17 Jan 15

have alook in the Tools - Startup section of CCleaner you should see two entries

Yes HKLM:Run WD Drive Unlocker Western Digital Technologies, Inc. C:\Program Files (x86)\Western Digital\WD Security\WDDriveAutoUnlock.exe

Yes HKLM:Run WD Quick View Western Digital Technologies, Inc. C:\Program Files (x86)\Western Digital\WD Quick View\WDDMStatus.exe

highlight each one and click on Disable

Shutdown or restart the PC and retry to safely eject the drive

Bike-it 20:25 17 Jan 15

Fruitbat both the programs you listed above where already disabled in CCleaner.

Just.me 21:19 17 Jan 15

wee eddie has the right idea.switch off the computer and the external hard drive and then remove the external hard drive.

It may be that you are trying to remove the system hard drive (usually C) and this is what it triggering the message.

Bike-it 21:37 17 Jan 15

Na im not trying to remove the system hard drive in trying to remove WD drive G

lotvic 11:25 18 Jan 15

Another thought: You could have a look and see whether or not write caching is disabled (rightclick on drive letter and choose properties) click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…