Hard drive replacement

dg22 05 Jun 12

Hi,

I have been having problems with my laptop recently and after a visit to the local computer repairs store was told the hard drive was worn out/knackered, so am looking to replace it, but have no idea what I'm looking for (complete novice with this area).

The laptop is a Lenovo 3000 n200, good few years old, had no real problems with it up to now. Main use is a little bit of work, nothing heavy, and football manager quite a bit. I'm looking for the replacement to be adequate to deal with this and also reasonably affordable, as I am a student.

Any advice and product suggestions are welcome.

Thanks, Dan

rdave13 05 Jun 12

It looks as the original had a 160GB 2.5" hard-drive and running Vista. You'll have to physically check if it's a Sata or Ide drive.I suspect Sata. Different connections shown Here.

If the original drive is still running then use it as little as possible so you can get someone to clone it. If you have the original restore to factory settings discs or the burnt ones you can use these on a new drive. Check key is still visible underneath or have you made a note of it?

Use something like Doubledriver to back-up all non Windows drivers if you can.

Back to the drive you can install a bigger hard-drive (not in physical size) such as a 250GB so long as it's 2.5".

lotvic 05 Jun 12

Levono harddrive ClickHere for discussion on which to get.

Levono 3000 N200 Drivers ClickHere

rdave13 05 Jun 12

Good links lotvic, so, if you're skint, this won't break the bank.

dg22 06 Jun 12

Thanks a lot for your help guys, appreciated.

As for installing the hard drive, is it a simple process or should I leave it in the hands of an expert?

rdave13 06 Jun 12

This video shows how to change the HDD, You Tube. Do you have the recovery discs to reinstall?

dg22 06 Jun 12

No, I do not have any recovery discs for the laptop. Does this mean I should give it a pro to deal with recovery/installation after I've put the hard drive in?

rdave13 07 Jun 12

Yes.

rdave13 07 Jun 12

As you have no Windows key and it is Vista then it will cost not only the Hard-drive but a new Vista OEM installation. Plus the 'pros' time and effort. Going to be expensive.

KRONOS the First 07 Jun 12

Do you not a Windows key on the base of your laptop,on a silver sticker perhaps.If you have get a copy of Vista from here Vista download. If you have problems activating then use the phone option.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

See 24 hours in London with Paul Richardson's hyperlapse tour

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message