Hard Drive Replacement

Murielson 1 09:25 30 Jun 11

Had a search around and all current comments appears to be at least a year plus old so thought I would ask the hrad drive replacement question agian for an updated response.

Bottom line is my current HDD appears to be getting somewhat unreliable and I would like to replace it with minimum fuss and effort. Computer is an Advent 9207 Desktop, several years old, running Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600). Hard drive to be replaced is a Maxtor 6L250S0 250 GB.

I would like to replace the HDD with a newer and greater capacity HDD (500 GB min but notice that there are very reasonably priced 1.5 and 2 TB around). Hopefully I can just copy complete content of current HDD (including applications) to the replacement, install replacement and then just carry on. Is this the case or am I being somewhat hopeful/naive?

Any recommendations for HDD, software etc that can be used to accomplish what I am after (preferably free software) would be most welcome. Will also then re-format replaced HDD, put it in a caddy and just use for miscellaneous, not too important stuff.

Thoughts appreciated and many thanks in advance.

The Kestrel 09:33 30 Jun 11

Many HDD manufacturers,such as Seagate include free software to enable you to transfer the contents of your old HDD to the new one.

Nontek 09:41 30 Jun 11

link text This free software will do what you want, that is - Clone old drive to new drive. This takes complete contents of old drive to the new drive, you then simply replace the two drives and hey-presto, done.

Put new drive in Caddy to make the Clone, then change the actual drives over.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? Why upgrade to Windows 10? Is Windows 10 good? The pros and cons of!…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This Uplifting Animation Celebrates Team GB’s Road to Rio

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features, including new features…