Hard Drive Recommendations Please

Whaty 17:52 29 Oct 04

I want to replace my ageing Hard Drive and would appreciate your recommendations in respect to the best/most reliable makes; Western Digital, Seagate, Maxtor, etc., and/or advice on where I can find some good review sites.

I 'think' I want:- 40Gb, 7200rpm, 8Mb buffer.? I don't really need anything above 40Gb (my current drive is 10Gb and isn't full..!)

Priorities are reliability, speed and noise, in that order... reliability is the key for me I think.

There is so much experience on this forum I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
Terry

whybe 18:11 29 Oct 04

I have had no problems with the two Maxtor drives but all the makes you suggest will have their favourites in this forum. I would go for a bigger drive though as the cost increase is not that great and you never know if you take up digital photo/video you will need it.

Rayuk 18:23 29 Oct 04

Hard drive warranties went down to 1 year they are now back up I think Seagate offer a 5 year warranty Maxtor 3 years if that is important to you

Rayuk 18:23 29 Oct 04

click here
Seagate is 5 years

Whaty 22:38 29 Oct 04

Thanks whybe and Rayuk.

Does anyone know of any good review sites..? I have tried searches on Google but without much success...

Thanks,
Terry

Rayuk 09:36 30 Oct 04
  SEASHANTY 12:08 30 Oct 04

Maxtor installation guide
click here

Seagate installation guide

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…