Hard drive recognition problem

butterscotch 17:59 11 May 05

I have a 30Gb HDD as my master which contains XP Pro & have taken the spare 20Gb HDD from a friends pc which was given to me & set it up as slave.
Everything was working ok until a couple of days ago, when I start the pc the slave drive isn't recognised anymore unless I wait until XP has loaded & then reboot.
When pc starts up again slave drive is found without any problems.
Everything is set up in the Bios ok.

Any suggestions

woodchip 18:09 11 May 05

Check in the BIOS. and run the Auto detect. Not set to AUTO for drives the drive may be a LBA

Gongoozler 18:27 11 May 05

If it is an old drive, it may be getting slow to spin up from cold. When you reboot your computer, the drive has warmed up and is faster to spin up to speed. This is quite a common problem for old drives. You can prove if this is the case by running the computer for a time with the 20G drive power disconnected (and perhaps unscrewed from the case so that it stays cold). Then switch off, connect the drive power and reboot. If the drive has a temperature problem it will not be detected because although the computer is warm, the drive will still be cold.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…