Hard Drive Re-format

shandykid 12:14 23 Feb 03

Hi - I've got a 20GB hard drive that has accumulated a lot of junk over the years. I'd like to start afresh and re-format the drive and re-install windows. Will the drive be as good as new? Would appreciate any advice on the best way to do this. Cheers.

AndySD 12:28 23 Feb 03

Which Operating System?

shandykid 12:32 23 Feb 03

Hi AndySD - I'm gonna try to install xp home

AndySD 12:43 23 Feb 03

click here will help in the setup. You need to go into the BIOS (setup) on the PC and change the First Boot Device to CD Drive. To do this tap on Delete (or whatever the PC says) when you start the PC. Use the Arrow keys to highligt the seperate Pages and the Enter Keys to go to them. The Esc key moves you backwards. Find the First Boot and Highlight it then use the Page Up/Down keys to change it to CD. Hit Escape to go to the Main Page then Save and Exit.

Put in the XP cd and reboot the PC. At the screen asking which partition you can remove the partitions on the Drive. Then create a new one either the whole disk or choose between 8 to 15 gig and leave the rest free. Choose to load XP onto this partition, It will format it for you then load XP clean.

(If you choose a smaler partition then when XP is loaded you can make new partitions in the free space by using XP's own Disk Manager.Click Start, and then click Control Panel. Click Performance and Maintenance, click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management. In the console tree, click Disk Management. Right click on the free space.)

Remember to load the Motherboard drivers first after loading XP.

shandykid 13:02 23 Feb 03

Thanks Andy - much appreciated.

shandykid 13:25 01 Jul 03

Hi there - i've managed to install windows xp without re-formatting my hard drive ie. i've still got all my old junk on my C: drive. I was hoping for a clean start. Could someone please advise as to where i may have gone wrong. Can I try re-installing xp again? cheers.
ps. i can't switch off my pc when i shutdown xp, for some reason the power supply does not switch off automatically - so i'm having to take the plug out of the socket to switch-off! Any advice welcome.

beeuuem 13:38 01 Jul 03

This tutorial click here explains how to reformat and reinstall XP much better than I could.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…