Hard Drive Query

Ritchbee 19:00 PM 04 May 12

Last night I moved a lot of data in the C drive to the D drive to create space as it was nearly full on my laptop. It meant that I now had just over 11GB free as a result.

Just turned on my laptop and it has gone down to 8.8GB and is still going down as a type and I've done nothing om it either. It would appear there are some process or processes running in the background that is using up the GB?. How can you tell or stop it?

I don't understand why this drive had used up its capaticy so quickly as we are not heavy users.

Many thanks Brian

Aitchbee 19:16 PM 04 May 12

If you are connected to the internet, that might be the obvious place to investigate...try disconnecting and see what happens.

T0SH 19:17 PM 04 May 12

Windows system restore will often gobble up any hd free space, Vista is the worst culprit but W7 and XP have their moments but at least they have easy access to settings where it usage can be limited

Cheers HC

Ritchbee 19:24 PM 04 May 12

Should have said I am running W7

rdave13 19:46 PM 04 May 12

When you say C and D drives do you mean partitions on the same drive? As it is a laptop hibernation is a must, as well as pagefile. Windows 7 is a master at allocating space for both these files in the root system. Your space was cramped before so you moved data to the D: partition so Win 7 simply expanded what space it has for hibernation and pagefile. You say you're not heavy users but how much photos, music and documents do you store? I'd be thinking of an external usb hard drive for keeping all your documents, etc, as I think your hard drive is near to full, or your C: partition anyway. Check in Computer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 4 UK release date, price and specs: Thinner, lighter, faster with new Type Cover and Pen

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Territory delivers realistic NASA screens for The Martian - as they will be in 20 years time

21 brilliant tips for Mac OS X El Capitan: The best new Mac features in OS X 10.11