hard drive query

Cessna 23:16 07 Jul 04

My dad's old PC, which ran Windows 98 died this week. No big problem, he has back ups etc, but he has now bought himself a s*!@:y new pc running XP home. He wants to put the old hard drive into the new machine as extra storage, and is happy to format it. Thing is, of course, he will have to put the old hard drive in and get the new pc booted up in order to format the old hard drive. Now wiring it in as slave is not a problem, but i did want to just make sure that an old hard drive that has a Windows 98 operating system on it is not going to cause any confusion to a Windows XP machine as it tries to read the disk for the first time. it would disregard the fact that there is another operating system installed if the old hard drive is set to slave????

CamPatUK 23:21 07 Jul 04

we do this very regularly where i work and it causes no problem the machine will bot from the first available hdd device hdd0 a primary slave would be hdd1 the winxp bootloader will not even acknowledge the win98 option, however if you don't trust me i bought a usb2.0 hdd caddy from click here and that can be installed after booting the os itself so will cause no problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…