Hard drive probs..

I recently had an error in my installation of Windows XP and so i decided it was time to back-up all my data and wipe my hard-drive clean. This all went fine until when i got to fdisk after formatting all the partitions, it suddenly told me that my hard-drive was only 58GB. It is meant to be 60.5GB.

Both fdisk and windows tell me i have lost 3 GB!

My hard-drive is an IBM Deskstar 60GXP 61.5GB UDMA100

Please help, i want my space back!

MAJ 17:23 17 Mar 03

It's correct, you will get a reported difference in drive capacity after formatting.

Is there any way i can get it back?

Do any of these WipeDrive shareware programs do a proper job?

MAJ 17:54 17 Mar 03

The 61.5GB is the size of the disk before formatting, nikki_d, as you have to format your drive before installing your OS or other files, no, you can't get it back.

I've never used any "Wipedrive" programs, so I can't recommend one personally, but for the normal home user fdisk and Format are more than sufficient tools.

DieSse 18:12 17 Mar 03

It all depends whether you regard 1K as 1,000 or as 1,024.

If you go to My Computer, right-click on the Drive icon - choose Properties out of the Menu - you'll see Windows give both sizes.

Ahhh ok, it must just be one of those annoying little things!

Thanks for your help anyway..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…