Macro Kid - (Java script) 20:27 21 Aug 03

Hi all,
A few details:
Windows Me
8GB Drive C
20GB Drive D - Maxtor
ASUS Mobo
350Mhz Intel Processor

Recently my computer was running unusually slow and would insist on scandisking drive D on each restart, which i didnt bother doing, ive finally got round to doing a simple scandisk in safe mode, it didnt finish, complaining of hardware problem. So I did a thorough scan, it was about a quarter of the way through, and had found 2 areas it could'nt read, when i caused scandisk to restart during a disk write, it then found an error even earlier in the disk. I am now up to four errors in total, so i guess the drive is dead.

Here are my questions:

Do i now need to replace the drive?

If so what is the best preservation tactic for now, should i shut it down, or continue the scandisk?

Why has the drive failed so quickly, we have two seven years old that are still working fine, this one has failed in about 2 years?

Can anyone reccomend/suggest against any manufacturers, so we can get a more reliable drive?

We previously had problems with the 6.4gb limit, will an ASUS mobo with a 350 processor have any max sizes? And will partitioning fix those isssues?

Thanks in advance

Peter Newman

WillyDR 07:33 22 Aug 03

Did you try to find out if Maxtor doesn't propose a disk status evaluation software, including f.i. the S.M.A.R.T technology ? I have an IBM disk and the evaluation software (called Drive fitness test or something like that)is on a floppy....

Willy

MichelleC 08:17 22 Aug 03

I'd suggest it may be the os and not the hd. I'd b/up data and run a Maxtor diagnostic 1st (loss of data) to check integrity.

Macro Kid - (Java script) 09:23 22 Aug 03

Okay, i shall try that.

But why would scandisk still be failing to read clusters if it is an OS problem?

Thanks

PN

MichelleC 09:25 22 Aug 03

Because ME can be laden with memory leakage and conflicts.

Macro Kid - (Java script) 09:33 22 Aug 03

Ah rite

But then why has it only suddenly started happening?

And what do you mean about loss of data running the maxtor diagnosis?

Thanks

PN

DieSse 09:36 22 Aug 03

Almost certainly your drive is failing, you're correct in that the OS can't cause read errors on the drive.

There is a Maxtor diagnostic called Maxblast, that you can download and run - and you can even try a zero fill, which wipes your drive clean.

Before you do anything drastoc though, you should try and back up anything you can - if you haven't already.

Macro Kid - (Java script) 09:40 22 Aug 03

Thansk DieSse

Strange, i found a Powermax diagnostic utility.

So if the hard disk has failed/is failing, then back to my original questions:

If so what is the best preservation tactic for now, should i shut it down, or continue the scandisk?

Why has the drive failed so quickly, we have two seven years old that are still working fine, this one has failed in about 2 years?

Can anyone reccomend/suggest against any manufacturers, so we can get a more reliable drive?

We previously had problems with the 6.4gb limit, will an ASUS mobo with a 350 processor have any max sizes? And will partitioning fix those isssues?

Thanks in advance

Peter Newman

DieSse 10:05 22 Aug 03

"best preservation tactic for now, should i shut it down, or continue the scandisk?"

Backup, then shutdown - don't keep running Scandisk - it can't help, and it may hinder.

"Why has the drive failed so quickly,"

It's just the luck of the draw - though modern drives live more "on the edge" - run faster, hotter, use smaller signals to cram more data in - are more highly "value engineerd" for lower production costs - etc.

Seagate and Maxtor seem to get higher marks for reliability - I use Seagate in my system builds. But you may have a very reliable make - and you're just the unlucky one whose drive failed!

"We previously had problems with the 6.4gb limit, will an ASUS mobo with a 350 processor have any max sizes? And will partitioning fix those isssues?"

You may have a 32Gb limit on a board of that age (and you may not!)

Partitioning does not fix drive size limitations, except the FAT16 2Gb one (up to Win98 original). Most, or all manufacturers do an installation utility that can overcome certain motherboard/BIOS capacity lmitations. The Seagate one is Disk Wizard - free download.

Also some boards may have a BIOS update to overcome this - but less likely with older boards.

DieSse 10:07 22 Aug 03

Sorry about the confusion - their diagnostic is Powermax - their installation utility is Maxblast.

With Seagate it's Disk Wizrd and Seatools.

Macro Kid - (Java script) 10:14 22 Aug 03

Thanks DieSse and everyone else for all your help

I shall try and have a look at the manual now to confirm a limit.

And i suppose we better buy a new hard drive.

I think the question is now resolved, however i won't tick it until ive got the new drive in and working.

THanks again

Peter N

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…