Hard Drive Problems

Last night when I switched my PC off everythng was fine. However when I switched it back on this morning, one of my hard drives was not detected. I rebooted and checked to see if at the startup hte drive was picked up and it was not. Also looking at the Bois setup it is not detected there either. I have checked to make sure that the cables to the drive a securely plugged in. There was no sign of any problem, but there does seem to be a diffinate problem with the drive. Has anyone experienced a similar problem and can anyone give any advice which may help to correct the problem.

MartinT-B 15:21 05 Mar 03

This happened to me too.

Basically my HDD was dead and had to be replaced by Evesham. Not anything I did - it just died.

MartinT-B 15:21 05 Mar 03

Is it spinning when you turn the power on?

MartinT-B It doesn't seem to be doing anything at all.

One thing that I have noticed is that ocassionally the bios mis identifies the drive and when I swithc on for about the first half minute you can hear a series of beeps followed by a few seconds of silence and then beeps again.

woodchip 16:53 05 Mar 03

Check both wires and plugs check volts at power plug they are low volts "not 240AC" The red wire. Try a new ribbon cable

Woodchip

Have checked all of these and everything is as it should be.

The ribbon connects 2 drive's, this one and a master and the master is working fine, so I am assuming that it is not the cable.

woodchip 19:15 05 Mar 03

They both use different parts of the wire so it could still be the cable. to test you could try the working drive on the other connector on the ribbon cable if it still works that will tell you that the cable is ok

MartinT-B 09:32 06 Mar 03

Those beeps mean something!

I hope you have your MoBo manual - look them up. It's a msg from the bios.

Sounds to me like you HDD has prolly died, and has been in it's death throes for a while :(

If the HDD is not spinning and the bios is beeping you'll prolly need to replace it.

If you're lucky and don't push the HDD too much, you MIGHT be bale to get it going one last time and read the info on it to copy it to another drive.

The is software out there to help recover info from dead drives.

One of my friends was struck by lightning. His surge protector worked, but the telephone line wasn't part of the set-up so the HDD got fried via the modem. After 18 hours he managed to recover about 85% of his HDD info.

I'll try and find out what the program is called.

Martin T-B, funny old thing happened. After 2 days off trying to get the drive to work and hearing nothing but beeps when switching on the drive, I decided to take the drive back to the retailer. I've only had the drive since mid december, so it was still under warranty.

At the shop, when they tested it, it started to work, but you could still hear the beeps. The beeps seem to be coming from the drive itself, and the owner of the shop was suprised as he had never seen a hard drive do this in the past. After a a couple of re-boots the drive stated to work, beeping at first but then it stopped beeping. So I have brought the drive back and fitted it into my PC and backed everything up. I've been told that if I have anymore problems with the drive that I need to call Maxtor and they will come as swpa the drive.

Thanks to everyone for you help and advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…