hard drive problems

Ravin Mad Al 22:17 14 Oct 03

my hard drive very occasionally (norm when warm) will click and bang then eventually stop all together.
So better safe than sorry I ordered a new maxtor 40gb hard drive.
I have been told that I can connect the ide cable from one of my cd rom drives temporarily to the new hard drive and copy all the data from my sick hard drive.
Problem 1 - windows is not seeing the new drive.
even updating the drivers does not show the drive either.
using 98me.
getting a bit stressed now as I've been at it for 3 hours !!!!!!!
any suggestions

Ravin Mad

LastChip 22:22 14 Oct 03

Have you "fdisked and formatted" the new hard drive?

kingkenny 23:32 14 Oct 03

Have you disconnected the old drive completely?

have you gone to Bios to see if the drive is registering there?

woodchip 23:42 14 Oct 03

Before any thing in this order set the drive jumper to slave if old drive is master and you have them on the same ribbon cable. CD etc are better on the EIDE2. Then go into bios and auto detect the drive save and exit bios then restart comp go into Explorer and right click on the new drive choose format you then need some thing to make an Image of C:\ and copy it to the new drive. I use Drive Image

Ravin Mad Al 22:09 15 Oct 03

thanks for your inputs BUT I cannot get past the HP bios setting to format or fdisk.
I have disconnected the old hard drive in the mean time while I attempt to format the new disk and have set the jumper to master which registers in the bios ok so thats where I'm stuck !
The PC is a HP Brio running on ME but have 98 master disk

oddbod 22:15 15 Oct 03

hi ... i have just tried installing the same hard drive as you and had a problem of it not doing anything when connected .. it turns out it was too big for my motherboard(some only accept up to 32gig) overcame this by flashing the bios to accept bigger hard drive .. i dont know if this is your problem but it sounded familiar

woodchip 22:18 15 Oct 03

I would say you have a hidden partition on your old drive with info on it. As above the only way you will find out id to get drive image as above, If you have a restore disc which I suspect you do. You can make a copy of the hidden partition and C:\ to the new drive from your old if the new drive is first set as slave then right click on the old drive in windows explorer and choose format you can then copy the image's to the new drive and then run them from there when you remove the old drive and reset new drive as master. It would be a good idea to partition the drive also before doing the above you can do this with Partition Magic. both thes programs can run from floppy disc

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…