hard drive problem and warranty issue

velodrome 12:02 05 Jun 03

Recently I had trouble when starting my machine.
Eventually scandisc was activated and several bad blocks were discovered. At the end of the run the message "at least 1 area of drive C has sustained physical damage". I was also warned to run scandisc regularly as there was a chance of the hard drive failing. The bad sectors were automatically moved and the startup problem disappeared. The drive is a Maxtor Fireball 3, (I am running Win98SE) and I downloaded the Maxtor diagnostic tool. The tool reports that the drive is OK. Running Norton Disk Doctor, Norton Speed Disk, and M'soft Defrag all show bad blocks/damaged areas when viewing the disk map in those utilities. The computer is still under warranty and if I return it to the company that I bought it from, presumably they will run the Maxtor tool which shows that the drive is OK.
Where do I stand with my warranty in this case, damaged areas are showing in all the other utilities, and the fact that when scandisk moved these blocks my problem disappeared indicates that there are problems on the disk, but the makers diagnostic tool says otherwise.

DieSse 12:13 05 Jun 03

"Running Norton Disk Doctor, Norton Speed Disk, and M'soft Defrag all show bad blocks/damaged areas when viewing the disk map in those utilities"

They show the bad blocks because they are marked on the disk as bad blocks - Scandisk marked them so.

As for the Maxtor diagnostic, I can't tell what it would indicate in the circumstances - I suggest you ask them directly on this one. It may be that there was a transient problem which a reformat and/or zero-fill would cure - it may be a real problem.

If you disk has developed a real problem, then I think you have a case for a warranty replacement, as it's ver unusual for hard drives to do so, and is a pointer to maybe worse problems.

One thing you could try, is to enable SMART in the BIOS and download the trial of ActiveSmart. This will tell you if your drive has ceratin types of problems - including excessive read errors - which will be accepted by the manufacturers as a valid warranty claim.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…