Hard Drive Problem & Mouse as well - Please Help!!

Shikaree 22:42 09 Mar 10

Hi Folks,

I had some fault with my Primary Master Hard Drive yesterday again. it did a disc Scan and deleted a few faulty files. Then after some time it was not booting up fully. I managed to hit Delete and the Hard Drive was showing OK. it booted up to where I have to Click my name and my Mouse seemed to Freeze - the Arrow - Cursor was stuck.

I have now swapped my Primary Master as Primary Slave and made my Clone Hard Drive as Primary Master so that when it booted up it would check any Faults in my Primary Slave and sort it out. But my Mouse will not budge the Cursor. I have a wired Mouse & Keyboard. I have tried the Mouse in all six USB Slots - 4X USB 2 and 2 X USB 1.1 nither worked. I have also used another two Keyboards & Mouse. The Keyboards work. But the Mouses don't. When I Hit Delete on Boot Up the two hard Drives are showing as OK.

Can anyone please Help!!

I have Windows XP Pro OS with SP3. The latest XP Pro.

Technotiger 08:58 10 Mar 10

Have you any other USB items that do not work? Just wondering is USB slots need to be refreshed.

Try a PS Mouse (fits in back of PC, next to keyboard socket)) instead of a USB one.

Shikaree 14:52 10 Mar 10

Technotiger, YES TRIED PS MOUSE AND KEYBOARD. NO LUCK WITH MOUSE.

Technotiger 15:01 10 Mar 10

Might just be a glitch in the Registry - try running click here in its default settings - i.e. do not make any changes, just run it.

Shikaree 15:07 10 Mar 10

Technotiger,

My computer won't Bootup unless My Mouse works to Click My Name for it to start and complete the Booting up

Technotiger 15:19 10 Mar 10

Of course, I should have realized!

You could try this - turn on MouseKeys by pressing Left ALT + Left Shift + Num Lock at the same time. Please note that this only works with the LEFT alt and shift, as if you try it with the right side, it will not work.

Here are the controls, provided that you have a numeric keypad, to run MouseKeys.

2 = Move Down
8 = Move Up
4 = Move Left
6 = Move Right
7 = Move Diagonally Top Left
9 = Move Diagonally Top Right
1 = Move Diagonally Bottom Left
3 = Move Diagonally Bottom Right
5 = Simulate Mouse Single Left Click
(+) = Simulate Mouse Double Click
(-) = Simulate Mouse Right Click
(*) = Simulate Both Mouse Buttons Click At Once

I have never had to do this myself, so no guarantee's I'm afraid.

Shikaree 15:29 10 Mar 10

Technotiger, Thanks I will try anything to get this awful Mouse working again. I'm on my Apple mac. I perfer my PC as old as she is.

Technotiger 15:54 10 Mar 10

Ah ... I was assuming PC, I would not make any suggestions regarding Macs, as I have no knowledge of them.

Technotiger 15:55 10 Mar 10

Silly me - of course you are using a different computer to ask your questions ..... Doh - I blame 'the age thing' .........

Shikaree 16:40 10 Mar 10

You're right, I am OAP and can't get it always right. hahhaha!! Age is catching up with me too.

Lets start all over again. Now where was I. Hold on let's put on my Thinking Cap. Got it. My memory back that is. I remind my self of my PC, Memory loss.

All the conversation is about MY PC. It's my PC that's has the Mouse Problem. That's why I'm on my Apple Mac. I have my PC on the other table next to me. I work mostly n my PC. My Grandkids made me buy this iMac. It's so different from MY favourite PC. It will take me ages to get used to this Thingy, iMac.

SORRY ABOUT ALL THE CONFUSSION!!!

Technotiger 16:52 10 Mar 10

Well, you could try my suggestion about Mousekeys as above - though I have no idea if it will work in your circumstance - but worth a try anyway.

When I said 'the age thing', I was referring to myself!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…