Hard drive problem installing windows XP

bagpuss66 13:53 18 Feb 03

I've a major problem with my main Hard drive a Maxtor 6L040J2 40gb.
Recently my machine has been freezing up when playing 3d games,at first I thought it was my 3d card creative geforce4 4400 ti.
But while checking my hard drive for virus's i found that it was infected with a IRC.bacdoor.trojan.
I decided that I would be better off reformatting the drive.After doing this I tried to install windows 98(my copy of xp is an upgrade),no problems there.But when trying to install XP the machine would come up with a blue screen and the message that a virus could be on the machine.But the machine would run in 98 or so I thought...the same problem with the 3d card surfaced,and worse still it was doing it during normal use.
Out of deparation I took the drive out and reinstalled my old 12gb hard drive.Installed 98,XP and tried my 3d card no problems,infact I left 3d Mark 2001 SE running for a day to see if this would freeze up the system.Nothing went wrong,apart from the fact I've got a replacement 3d card from Creative on it's way that I'll have to now send back as it looks like I have a faulty disc drive!
Is there any way to repair or check this drive to see if I have to send this back as it's only 7 months old.

DieSse 14:04 18 Feb 03

The virus could be lurking in the ,br - from where, formatting won't remove it.

Download the Maxtor disk utility that does a "zero-fill", or "low level format". This will wipe the disk clean, and so give you a chance to install correctly.

click here

DieSse 14:05 18 Feb 03

sorry ,br should read mbr

bagpuss66 14:37 18 Feb 03

Thanks for the help I'll give it a try.

bagpuss66 20:40 18 Feb 03

Eureka!! It works!! Thanks once again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…