hard drive problem

spud2 19:16 06 Jul 03

My primary hard drive is giving me a lot of problems lately. I have Acronis True Image installed and I would Like to create a complete up to date image of my OS (windows 98'se) so I can install it on my second hard drive. What files of folders do I need to create the image.
Thanks.

MichelleC 20:07 06 Jul 03

I don't think you can clone an os due to licensing tech, but you can clone a hd for data and progs, then format and then reinstall os.

Lú-tzé 20:10 06 Jul 03

I don't know Acronis but would suggest that you start it up and see if it has a wizard to follow. It is likely that you will need another partition to backus (which I think you have).

Before doing it, do a defrag, scandisk, virus scan, empty all temp files and temp internet files and so on to ensure that you have as little as you need.

woodchip 20:13 06 Jul 03

With Acronis you make a Image of the entire drive, just as you would with Partition Magic. That means OS and software, there should be provision to run in DOS or windows if it's the latest version

Lú-tzé 20:13 06 Jul 03

MichelleC - I would think that it is ok to "clone" a drive with an OS if it is going onto the same pc again. That is what Norton Ghost and similar programs do.

It is standard practice for backups - creating an image of the whole disk which can be restored if anything goes wrong.

spud2 20:19 07 Jul 03

Thanks for the advice. I have imaged the complete drive onto four cd's and also created the boot up floppy disks to start the program from Dos.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…