Hard Drive problem

spud2 22:10 22 Mar 03

I seem to have some strange noise comming from my PC and I am not sure if it is being caused by a cooling fan,sometiimes scan disk runs on boot up and I get messages that there maybe errors on my C drive and after scan disk has completed it's task I get a message that there is no damaged sectors and the pc continues to boot up. I have Drive Image 3.0 and I would like to make an image of my updated windows files and also my updated anti-virus files so I can copy them onto my second hard drive. My system consists of P111 500mhz processor 128mb ram primary hard disk (C) 8.4GB and second logical drive partition into 3 other drives and running windows 98se.
regards
spud2

Gongoozler 08:18 23 Mar 03

Hi spud2. Strange noises from inside a pc usually emanate from the processor cooling fan and ScanDisk at startup is usually caused by a bad shutdown which is not uncommon with Windows 98 and 98se. However they can also be caused by a failing hard drive. The best way to check is to remove the cover from your pc and use a piece of paper rolled up into a tube about 1cm diameter as a stethoscope to see if you can track down the source of the noise. I like to use paper for this because it is quite a good insulator and if it contacts a moving opject such as a fan blade it deflects rather than causing damage.

spud2 12:35 26 Mar 03

Hi Gongoozler,
Thanks for the tip. I will try to track the noise down and I will post a message as soon as I can.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…