Hard Drive Problem

Adezzz 17:19 19 Aug 06

I've borrowed a friends pc which currently has an SATA HDD in it. But I want to put my IDE hard drive in place of it but when it boots up it give the BSOD just before the XP logo is supposed to appear.

I've taken the SATA lead out of the motherboard and put the IDE one in connecting to my drive and also taken the power cable out of the SATA hard drive.

I checked the BIOS and its detected my HDD.

When I put it back to my machine its fine.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

rodriguez 17:24 19 Aug 06

The BSOD usually happens when there is a hardware error - and you have a lot of "hardware errors" if this drive was from another computer because Windows isn't configured for all the new hardware it finds in your friend's PC. This means you can't really plug your drive in and boot it without installing Windows again and let it configure itself for all your friend's hardware.

FelixTCat 17:25 19 Aug 06

Adezzz,

XP is sensitive to the hardware. The version on your hard disk is tuned to your hardware. When you put your hard drive in your friend's pc it found completely different hardware and refused to start.

You could access your data in your friend's pc if you put your hard drive in his pc and boot from his SATA drive.

Regards,

Felix

Adezzz 17:28 19 Aug 06

Gutted.

Is there any way I could do it without reinstalling. Such as connect each piece of hardware seperatley (ie just connect the monitor and motherboard first and add each piece one at a time and let the drive detect each one).

Adezzz 17:29 19 Aug 06

Do you mean use my drive as a slave Felix.

Will SATA and IDE work together.

DieSse 17:44 19 Aug 06

Why not just get an external caddy with a USB2 connection - put your drive in that - then you'll be able to get at all your work, and you won't be compromising anything in your friends computer.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:52 19 Aug 06

Will SATA and IDE work together.
yes but make sure BIOS Knows wich drive to boot from (SATA)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now