Hard drive problem

blaupraust 21:54 24 Nov 05

I recently came back from holiday, turned on my pc to find nothing happens the power comes on and the cd drives make a sound but nothing appears on the monitor and no startup beep. I have no idea whats happened to it, so if anyone has any idea's i'd appreciate the help!

On another note, i've tried to take that particular hard drive and put it in another pc as the master to get the files off it, yet i get as far as bios, and the setup screen, which says the usual, windows did not shut down correctly, click to start windows normally etc, when i select this, the system restarts and goes through it all again.

I dont think the old master in that machine was set with C drive as the windows drive, however the one i'm trying has C as the windows drive, do I need to change this somewhere in the bios to make the system load from drive C?

Thanks a lot for your help!

007al 22:05 24 Nov 05

you can put it in as slave and get files off it

blaupraust 22:08 24 Nov 05

Yeah...problem with that is, just getting the files would be a last resort because the drive it would be slave to is plagued with spyware etc, i'd prefer not to link it to this drive as a slave in any way.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:21 24 Nov 05

Faulty PC isprobably PSU but chck following first.

1. does monitor work if connected to other PC?

2. remove reseat graphics card.

3. remove reseat memory modules (try with one stick ofmemoryat a time)

4. try another PSU

5.mother bord US

6. cpu US

"i've tried to take that particular hard drive and put it in another pc as the master to get the files off it, yet i get as far as bios, and the setup screen, which says the usual, windows did not shut down correctly, click to start windows normally etc, when i select this, the system restarts and goes through it all again."

This suggests that it booted ok, but the monitor or graphics card defect caused nothing on screen and you switched off and corrupted windows files on HDD.

It may also crash because mobo drivers will be different for the machine you have now put it in.

If you find monitor or graphics fault on other PC then Repair XP by install over the top of existing systm

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

REpair XP
click here

The same procedure will allow fixtobootfilesandreplace MOBO drives when using as master in old PC

blaupraust 10:57 27 Nov 05

doesn't seem to be the PSU, what is the best way of checking the motherboard still works?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:35 27 Nov 05

what is the best way of checking the motherboard still works?

Remove RAM and CPU and PSU and harddrive

Fit known good compatible CPU RAM and PSU graphics acr and monitor ----- no HDD or CD/DVD

Attempt to boot if ok should boot through post screen and give "error no opertaing system insert system disk"

blaupraust 22:24 28 Nov 05

Im thinking I may as well get a new pc, at todays prices, it's hardly worth the trouble of trying to fix it, especially since it's not the most up to date system..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…