Hard Drive Problem

Ged 1 21:33 05 Apr 04

I have just had a few problems with XP pro , so I did a repair with the xp disc, now when I look at the properties of my hard drive its states I have used 61 GB ,but there is only about 30 GB used, has any one got any ideas what has gone on.

Thanks Ged D

woodchip 21:42 05 Apr 04

Don't use XP but have a look to if WinXP as made a backup of the Operating System Before you ran the Repair tool. You should be able to delete it

Ged 1 21:58 05 Apr 04

Where would this back up be , so i could delete it

keith-236785 22:03 05 Apr 04

when you did the repair, did you choose to back up your system?

if so then it will probably account for the lost space. System restore can also take up lots of room.

turn off system restore (only if you are happy to lose ALL restore points)then turn it back on again, that will delete all previous restore points, freeing up a lot of space.

to get to system restore, right click My Computer and choose properties, click the System Restore tab then tick "turn off System Restore on all drives", apply and ok, exit the screen then go back in and remove the tick.

do a search for *.bak and see what files it brings up, look for a big file which is probably the back up of your old system.

good luck

Ged 1 22:11 05 Apr 04

I tried this search it only came up with 2,300 kb
of files found.

I only have 1 restore point, so I dont thik its there.

You said did Iask to do a back up of the system when I did the repair , I dont think it asked me this as I did the repair from booting from the XP disc.

woodchip 22:25 05 Apr 04

Set find to look for files over a certain size so it will only bring up big files

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…