Hard Drive Prob.

Legslip 12:31 26 Oct 04

I have recovered a hard drive (4gb) from an old PC and want to install it to my existing PC to use as a backup drive. I have installed it OK as a slave, no problem. Trouble is I can't format it. When I try, I get the message 'Windows cannot format this drive. Quit any disk utilities or other programmes that could be using this drive, and make sure that no window is displaying the contents of the drive. Then try formatting again'.

I have tried re-booting and formatting without opening any other progs. but still get this message.

Any ideas?

dan 11 12:57 26 Oct 04

You do not say what operating system you have, so try this.

Download a windows 98 start up disk from click here and put it on a floppy disk.

Disconnect your main hard drive by pulling the ide cable from the back of it.

Start the computer with the floppy disk in. Let the programme load and pick start with cdrom support.

Let it load to a:\ and type format c: after it, so

a:\ format c:

this should format the 4Gb hard disk as long as it's not NTFS.

When done, shut down the computer, connect the main hard drive and restart the computer. Your drive should be now ready.

joseph K 13:01 26 Oct 04

I think that a 4 Gig disk is most likely FAT 32, while your existing system is very possible NTFS. Perhaps therein lies the problem

Legslip 13:56 26 Oct 04

As described, did it from a boot disk.
Thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…