Hard Drive and Printer networking

Finto 22:55 10 May 07

I have a Laptop and Desktop both wirelessly connected to my Sky Netgear router. Problem is I recently purchased a 320G Hard drive and want that hanging off my router, but it's USB whereas there is no USB connection on the router.
Also, I thought I could share my printer off my desktop for my laptop, but that doesn't seem to work. Do I need a different router ?

LastChip 02:20 11 May 07

I'll deal with the printer first.

If your printer is working properly on your desktop machine, you should be able to share it for use with your laptop.

Three things to check are:

1. File and Printer sharing is enabled

2. The firewall(s) are configured to allow that service

3. Your laptop has the printer driver installed.

Now the hard drive.

If all you have is a USB hard drive, you can't simply plug it into a router to work. It needs the operating system on one of the computers to enable it to function. Therefore, it will have to be attached to one of the computers. If however it is a self contained file server, that is a different matter. I doubt it is though, because I've never seen a USB version of a file server.

Ashrich 23:21 11 May 07

Go into the printer properties ( start/settings/printers , select printer and right click on it , select " properties , second tab says " sharing " select that and click the box for " share this printer " . If your laptop is running the same operating system it will draw the drivers across from the main PC .

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…