Hard Drive Partitions

barrydol 01:18 11 Nov 04

What are the benefits of partitioning your hard drive(s)? If you have enough space for your basic home uses, music files etc, is it worth bothering about?

LastChip 01:34 11 Nov 04

If you think of using C: drive for all of your Operating System and Applications, but using D: for your personal files, should you have a major crash or virus problem, you can reformat C: and all your personal files will remain untouched on D:, E:, or whatever.

This is still no excuse however, for not backing up important data, because if your grief was caused by a mechanical malfunction of the drive, all data on all partitions would likely be lost.

Something to think about.

Diemmess 08:48 11 Nov 04

1. Easier to backup, cleanup and link some problems with a particular drive.

2. Faster to do 1.

3. Easier to keep a mental image of where to find things and when such things are "lost", Search is much quicker.

4. When a big disk was perhaps 4Gb, partitions still made some sense. Now that newcomers have a budget option > 100Gb I pity them for tangled mess which will develop.

pj123 17:40 11 Nov 04

Yes, and if you want to partition your hard drive without losing your files get Ranish (free) from click here

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:46 11 Nov 04

Personally, with modern computers, I think that it is a complete waste of time and would suggest getting an external HD.......click here

G

barrydol 22:29 11 Nov 04

Thanks, your link answered my question. I'm new to this stuff but getting there. I have a spare internal Hd. Ill try and install that and put all my own files there. I'll use the the other drive for the OS etc. If I keep them both organised and backed up that should do.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…