Hard Drive Partitioning and reformat

Boluwd 21:01 30 Nov 03

I have a 40Gb as master and 20Gb as slave. The 20Gb is my data drive but it is nearly full due to the very large My Music folder. There is also a My music folder on the 40Gb which acts as an overflow. I wish to partition the 40Gb using Partition Magic into a 10Gb (OS Win98SE and slimmed down programs) and a 30Gb Music partition. I would then transfer all the music from my 20Gb drive and free this up to a purely data drive. Total music is approx 29Gb.

I want to reformat the 40gb drive and reinstall Windows and reduce the number of programs. Can I firstly partition into 10Gb/30Gb and then reformat and reinstall on the 10Gb OR would I have to reformat the 40Gb first, reinstall windows and then partition into 10/30???

I hope I've made myself clear!

Diodorus Siculus 21:26 30 Nov 03

You can partition at any stage; just be sure to back up data etc before stating the partition, even with partition manager.

Boluwd 21:32 30 Nov 03

I haven't made this clear have I?
The real question is...Can I reformat and reinstall Windows on a 10Gb partition of a 40Gb harddrive? It's not the partitioning that's so important. I would rather be able to firstly partition the 40Gb into 10/30 and keep the music files on the 30 partition and THEN reformat and reinstall Windows on the 10Gb partition.

LastChip 21:38 30 Nov 03

Providing you make the 10Gb partition active.

Boluwd 21:46 30 Nov 03

What do you mean by "active"?

A_World_Maker 22:23 30 Nov 03

active=boot drive letter C

Boluwd 22:30 30 Nov 03

I see!

My intention was to have c:\ as 10Gb OS and programs, d:\ as 30Gb My Music. Then the slave drive would become e:\ and 20Gb data storage.

So you all confirm that I can partition the 40Gb into 10/30 FIRST and then reinstall the OS on the 10Gb partition?

....he asks nervously!!

A_World_Maker 22:39 30 Nov 03

Yes.... although I can't understand why you are nervous, other to assume you might be concerned about loosing your data when you repartition. If you use Partition Magic, and have enough space to allow all your saved data files to remain in the new partition (30gb) untouched, then you should have no problems. As always, there are no perfection in computing, make backups of all your data before starting :-)

LastChip 22:40 30 Nov 03

But not quite!!

The way Windows 98se creates drives will not be as you anticipate.

When you have more than one hard drive, each drive's first partition, takes the next available letter, so;

Your 10Gb partition will be C: your second drive will take D: and finally, your 30Gb patition on the first drive will be E:

However, Partition Magic (I think) allows you to name partitions to choice, as indeed does W2K and XP, so you may be able to re-name the partitions to taste!

Boluwd 23:21 30 Nov 03

I'll have a go at this tomorrow. Thanks to you all for responding. I will let you know how it all pans out!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac