Hard drive partition Problem, wth XP install...

gatenby_2006 20:22 13 Jul 06

Iv had alot of problems, and installed windows on a 160gb hard drive with 3 partitions. In the end there was a problem with this install, and i had to install again. I booted form the XP disk, and there was only a 30 GB partition showing (which was C:). I formatted this using NTFC, and installed windows on it thinking i would see the other partitions once windows was installed. But i cant!

Any ideas?!

Diodorus Siculus 20:26 13 Jul 06

Right click on my computer

choose manage

then diskmanagement

From there you should be able to find the others and format as required.

gatenby_2006 20:32 13 Jul 06

done that and i cant see anything else except C drive, the 30GB one..

Diodorus Siculus 20:45 13 Jul 06

Maybe time to start again and boot from the XP cd and try a new installation.

VoG II 20:48 13 Jul 06

... and also consider whether you really need to partition the drive into more than one partition. This may have been a good thing to do in the last century but isn't nowadays.

gatenby_2006 20:59 13 Jul 06

i would like to to this to orgranise my files alot better.

I think if i do try another install, i wont see the full hard drive. 160GB. i will just see 30 GB.

VoG II 21:04 13 Jul 06

Follow this tutorial click here

It is up to you as to whether to create multiple partitions. I find it totally unnecessary. Each to his own I suppose.

ade.h 21:07 13 Jul 06

VoG - I disagree. There are good two main benefits to sensible partitioning:

Firstly, I don't have to move all my files off if I reinstall the OS because their location remains untouched. I keep my program files seperate because two of my most important programs save my files to their own program folders; this behaviour cannot be altered, so keeping them away from the OS has proved very sensible on more than one occasion.

Secondly, it minimises fragmentation, which means that I never use a defrag tool at any time. I find defragging to be a misleading thing as the rearranged files don't go back to their original locations, which has a similar effect to fragmentation on disk access. Particularly relevant for those of us with laptop hard-drives. My C and D partitions can remain untouched and largely unchanged from day one.

ade.h 21:07 13 Jul 06

"There are good two main benefits" I lost the use of English there!

VoG II 21:17 13 Jul 06

I still don't think there is any reason to partition. My work laptop came with 2 partitions and for the hell of it I moved My Documents to D:. Using Diskeeper from time to time reveals that both partitions get fragmented - in fact the C: more than the D:.

On my home PC I have two HDDs - one is 'active' if you like, the other houses Ghost images and copies of all my drivers. I see no reason to partition the C: drive. I never re-install anyway (why would anybody do that?) but if I did I could recover using the Ghost image.

Input Overload 21:19 13 Jul 06

I think partitions are a good idea & I can't see any disadvantages, I have 3 internal hard drives with 7 partitions which works great for me, however that's just my view.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5