Hard drive partition mess

Pineman100 17:05 12 Mar 06

I've got myself into a hell of a mess, trying to delete paritions on a hard drive. Sorry if this rather long, but I need to explain everything carefully.
I have a 60GB Maxtor HDD that I want to use as a backup drive in an external USB caddy. Somehow I have totally screwed up trying to delete its partition system and reformat it (probably due to stupidity and lack of knowledge).
Current situation: because fdisk won't work on a USB drive I have put the HDD into an old computer, intending to fdisk it from a Windows 98SE startup floppy. The drive's partition information that fdisk is reporting is as follows:
Part'on Status Type Vollabel Mb System Usage
C:1 A PRI DOS BACKUP 8 Fat12 %
2 NON DOS 58636 100%

I have tried deleting the non dos partition, but fdisk says it can't do it.
Basically, I want to wipe the entire drive clean, then create a single partition with a single logical drive in it.
Can anyone please talk me step by step through what to do?

terryf 17:22 12 Mar 06

One way that I have used is to put it in the old computer as the only drive, boot up from your windows disk, allow it to partion and format the disk, then interrupt the installation. Worked fro me with some old disks I donated to my son

daxian 17:30 12 Mar 06

hi pineman100...
if you goto the maxtor website and download the maxtor utility ...this will create a bootable floppy ....boot the old pc with the floppy and follow instructions to set up a h/disk .....hope this helps.Dave

Pineman100 17:51 12 Mar 06

Many thanks for that - I'll give it a try and report back tomorrow.

Legolas 18:02 12 Mar 06

Is the non dos partition an NTFS partition?. You cannot delete a non dos partition if it is inside an extended partition you can use a utility called delpart to do this. read this and download the utility click here

Pineman100 18:05 12 Mar 06

The fdisk report doesn't show any file system for the non dos partition - that part of the table is just blank. But fdisk still refuses to delete it. I'll download delpart as you suggest and add it to my armoury in case the Maxtor utility doesn't work.
Many thanks.

Pineman100 19:26 12 Mar 06

As suggested by daxian, I ran Maxtor's utility. However, it reported: "Maxblast detects a non-Windows boot sector on your primary hard disk (I had disconnected the main system HDD so the only "live" HDD was my troublesome backup disk). Maxblast went on to report that it cannot delete partitions on disks whose boot sector was created by (among other things) Norton GoBack.
When I used this HDD in my last computer, I used it as a backup with GoBack. So I think this must be the problem.
I also tried running Delpart, as suggested by Legolas, but it reported that it could not find the HDD at all!
Has anyone got any other ideas please?

Storik 19:39 12 Mar 06

I found this website, which helped me out in a similar situations.

click here

I hope you find it useful. :-)

Storic

Zak 20:28 12 Mar 06

This may well be your answer. Extracted from:

click here

Entry from: Silencer Jun 21 2005, 07:19 PM

"GoBack creates it's own proprietary Type 44 partition. It takes over the disk I/O like a Disk Manager or Dynamic Drive Overlay would, and keeps its logs in its own partition. Many/most third party partition tools and many undelete applications do not support Type 44. This alone should be reason enough to avoid GoBack.

For the techs in the group;
Be very careful when dealing with Type 44 partitions. GoBack has made some highly experienced techs into very humble little boys over the years. It's fully capable of eating your lunch, and kicking your butt all in one shot.
DFSee is very good at managing GoBack partitions should you find yourself in the midst of a GoBack nightmare, it's your first download. click here
DFSee will allow Type 44 partitions to be converted to standard types. The demo version allows this conversion without the need of registration."

click here

greenlamp 23:20 12 Mar 06

Had exactly the same problem, due to an ntfs partition, once partitions removed with delpart [as suggested above] absolutely no problem using windows 9x FDISK. Be VERY careful to only use delpart on the right disk

Pineman100 09:52 13 Mar 06

Here's what I have done: I found instructions on the Symantec website on how to use fdisk to remove the GoBack entry from the drive's master boot record (FDisk /MBR). I ran it, and afterwards found that Delpart was now able to see the partitions on the drive. I deleted both partitions (listed in my OP above). I then ran fdisk again to start afresh - however fdisk now reports "Error reading fixed disk".

Have I created an attractive Maxtor paperweight?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017