Hard drive Partition on Laptop

CAPES 20:01 PM 03 Feb 12

My son has a Samsung RV511 Laptop, it runs windows 7 and has around a 600GB Hard drive which is partitioned at 230GB Drive C and 340GB Drive D, He has filled drive C and moved a lot of video, music and picture files over to D. Is there a way of increasing the size of the drive C partition? Mark

woodchip 20:10 PM 03 Feb 12

If you mess with Partitions Without Creating a Image of the Drive to a External Drive, Any faults may lose you the Restore of the Operating System on the laptop

markd71 23:28 PM 03 Feb 12

First you need to create a mirror image of drive C: (for safety ) then move all data from drive D: to an external source, portable hdd, dvd, memory stick. If you have the option to create re-install disks... do so. Then go into Disk Management........ delete partition D: and extend partition C: to include the whole disk. Google it and print out the instructions if you're not familiar with the process, Good Luck !

sharpamat 09:07 AM 04 Feb 12

As already advised you may risk loseing not only your data but also recovery as its unknown where this hidden partion is stored Personally I would not advise deleating any partions. Purchase an external drive ( powered )Then use that to not only store data but also creat a disc image, and a back up of your drives. If you still wish to change the size of your partions aftr the above has been done this can be done using the disc management tools found in start/control pannel/system. The method I would suggest if you intend useing this route, is highlight c and shrink ( not deleat as it may well contain the hidden recovary partion may be anywhere ) then select D and expand

markd71 10:09 AM 04 Feb 12
  robin_x 11:15 AM 04 Feb 12

Hidden Recovery Partitions are not 'hidden within C:' nor are they hidden very well as you can see in above link.

Windows Disc Management can do simple partition operations (shrink/expand).

However, often some other simple operations are often unavailable or greyed out.

I recommend Partition Wizard (Free).

Right click D: and Move/Resize to a smaller size. If C: is adjacent to the left, you can simply resize that to fill the new empty space.

If another partitions is in the way, you will have to move it to get Unallocated space immediately to the right of C:.

The risk of a problem is low, make sure you don't lose power during operations though.

A set of Recovery DVDs and Regular backups/Images to an external HDD are good practice for any system.

john bunyan 12:29 PM 04 Feb 12

Before resizing, I wuld look critically at what is on the C: Drive. I only keep the system and programme files on it. In my case the C drive (110Gig) is only half full.There is a free Treesize application that would help. I have even moved my Outlook( EMail) to my data partition. To use most of a 230 Gig drive for non - data seems very odd.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 4 UK release date, price and specs: Thinner, lighter, faster with new Type Cover and Pen

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Territory delivers realistic NASA screens for The Martian - as they will be in 20 years time

21 brilliant tips for Mac OS X El Capitan: The best new Mac features in OS X 10.11