Hard Drive Partition

coolteentom 23:00 04 Feb 07

Hi,

Recently I got a Windows Vista disk for a PC that was running XP. However, I didn't have the XP recovery console to reformat the drive, so I booted from a program called 'Active@ KillDisk', which completely wiped everything on the hard drive.

However, now when I boot from the Vista disk, it claims that there is no drive to install Vista onto. I am not at all familiar with partitions etc, and was wondering if anyone knows what the problem is likely to be... do I need to create a new partition, and if so, how?

Regards,
Tom

woodchip 23:03 04 Feb 07

You can use the Six Floppy XP discs from click here

coolteentom 23:12 04 Feb 07

Woodchip, thanks for the reply,

I have just been looking further into it, and have found that at the minute under partitions, all I have is [unallocated], which possibly means that I need to create a 'primary partition'?

Would these Six Floppy XP disks fix this partition problem do you think?

coolteentom 00:18 05 Feb 07

I am having problems with my floppy drive, so am just thinking of getting Partition Magic. ..

Does anyone know if I can use the Partition Magic CD to boot up on, so that I can create a primary partition using that?

Cheers,
Tom

brundle 00:26 05 Feb 07

If yours is a bootable Vista disc it should be able to create a partition itself (unless they've taken a big step backwards from the XP install CD) - if it's an Upgrade CD, you will need XP installed anyway.

brundle 00:27 05 Feb 07

You may need to locate drivers if you are running SATA drives, which may help.

GaT7 00:30 05 Feb 07

Don't waste your money on Partition Magic when there are free alternatives: GParted LiveCD click here, & one which'll do it within Windows - Paragon Partition Manager 2005 click here (not sure about the latter's compatibilty with Vista though). I've used both with no problems. G

woodchip 09:00 05 Feb 07

You can also use Acronis Disc Director Suit 10. I use it

coolteentom 20:27 05 Feb 07

Hi,

I have partitioned the drive, but doesn't seem to be helping, as when I get to Vista setup, it can't find an existing hard drive to to set up Vista.

Any Ideas?

woodchip 20:31 05 Feb 07

You may be able to download Disc tools from HD manufacturers site to test the drive

GaT7 17:53 06 Feb 07

Will a basic boot disk click here, or the GParted LiveCD (I suggested earlier) let you partition & format the drive?

To your question 'do I need to create a new partition, and if so, how?' the answer is yes, & you'll need to format it as well - see "Will I be able to use my HDD after Active@ KillDisk erase operation?" from click here. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…