Hard drive order query

tkidcharlemagne 16:58 03 Oct 04

Buying a new system and could do with some advice. My order at the moment is for 2x 200Gb Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 10 (7200rpm,8MB) SATA. Does this equate to 400gb and 16MB. Silly question I'm sure.

Is this better than the 300GB maxtor diamondmax plus, 16MB or the 250GB.

Plus should I get a raid config. Raid doesn't seem to make that much diff but raid 0 appears to be superior for gaming which will be my main usage.

Friday's Child 17:19 03 Oct 04

You will have 400 GB of nominal storage space if you have 2x200GB drives but the way in which the drive manufacturers measure 1GB is 1000x1000x1000 bytes which is less than the actual 1024x1024x1024 which a GB is officially and in addition the formating will take some of the space which will reduce the apparent size, so you will see them as less than 200GB each. But both of these are the same for all drives so I would not worry about them.

The 8MB is a cache on the drive so although you will have 16MB in total it will be split between them and one will not be able to use the 8MB on the other.

As regards whether the other drives would be better, I will leave that to someone more experienced to say.

Raid 0 is so far as I am aware 'mirroring' which means that although you will have the 400GB, because everything is written to both drives, with the exception of the speed and security, you will effectively be operating with 200GB of storage space.

Hope this helps.

tkidcharlemagne 17:36 03 Oct 04

Thks that does help. It appears that to have two identical drives raid 0 would be a boost to speed performance though their does seem to be conflicting data judging by some of the research I have done.

Still would like any advice regarding whether to go for the straight 16MB Hard drive or the two 8MB drives.

Dorsai 18:04 03 Oct 04

Sorry to disagree. but raid 0 is not mirroring.

Raid 0 is where each and every file is split in half, and half goes on one HDD, and the other half on the other drive. The idea is that while the first half of the file is loaded from one drive, the other half can be loaded (at the same time) from the other drive.

So in theory, the whole file (program/wav file/pic/ whatever) loads in half the time.

but if one drive dies, it all goes up the swanny.

Raid 1, mirroring, is where each file is on both drives.

So two copies of the file are made, one on each drive. SO if one HDD goes pear shaped, the file is still on the other. It has no speed advantage, but all files are in two places at once.

So raid 0 is (supposed to be) fast, but has no backup, raid 1 is at normal speed, but automatically makes two copies of everything.

there are other raid options. One is with 4 disks. it is raid 0+raid 1.

it's all rather complicates, and raid 0 is risky, but quick.

I have raid 0. It's fast. But if one drive goes fubar i loose everything.

Rayuk 18:04 03 Oct 04

Or if you dont really need that much space but want the performance for gaming how about 74Gb Raptor drive.[or 36GbRaptor + another 200GbMaxtor for storage.]

Dorsai 18:13 03 Oct 04

Just remembered, raid 0 = Striping.

The file is devided in to stripes. Alternative stripes are put on each drive.

Mirroring. Like a mirror, two of the same, you, and a copy.

If i remember click here has a good tutorial and gives a better description than i can.

tkidcharlemagne 18:31 03 Oct 04

Got it Dorsai. Did a bit of research myself and think the raid 0 would probably fit my requirements better if I go with the two hard drives.

Still not sure whether to go with the two 200gb drives and raid 0 or the 300Gb Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 10 (7200rpm,16MB) SATA. Which would have the faster performance.

Friday's Child 19:58 03 Oct 04

My apologies I mixed up RAID 0 & 1.

tkidcharlemagne 10:36 04 Oct 04

Gone for a dual 250 maxtor diamond plus 10 16mb with a raid 0. Thks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…