Hard Drive or Processor problem

Mattygc 12:12 11 Jun 03

Hi can anyone out there help a rank amateur with a problem I have on an old, old PC the unit in question is an escom P60 with an overdrive chip increasing it to a P120 it had a 1.1gb hard drive fitted.

Originally it when booting up I would get a message telling me to start up in safe mode command prompt only as there was a registry fault. The only cure was to format the hard drive and start again. Then the BIOS would only recognise 540mb. I sorted that but then when I reinstalled windows 98 it found damaged clusters on the hard drive. And I had to muck about pressing escape to get windows to install. Scan Disk in windows found no such problem.

I then decided to replace the hard drive with a 8gb unit but the exact same fault still occurs. When reloading software I get so far then I get the safe mode prompt again run scan disk in dos I get damaged cluster messages and long file name messages and a message saying I'm not using logical block or something. Can anyone help?
1 to tell me how to set the BIOS so the right LBA is recognised.
2 How to sort out this bad cluster message in DOS
3 How to get over this virtual bump in the disc that appears to corrupt the registry.

Your help will prevent a lot of tears and a nervous breakdown.

Regards Mattygc

Aspman 12:35 11 Jun 03

A machine that old may have motherboard problems looking at hard drives over a certain size (2Gb I think). I'm struggling to remember now, someone will know for sure in the forum.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…