Hard Drive - One Large or Two Smaller

Richard Ing 20:40 28 Feb 05

I’m about to buy my first PC after many years abusing my company’s machine.

My issue is whether it’s better to go for one large hard drive or two smaller drives. I’ve read a bit about RAID pros and cons and would welcome an opinion on either a single 400GB drive or dual 200GB drives etc. One of my main aims is to edit my collection of DV video footage, so high capacity is a priority for me.

Daz35 22:03 28 Feb 05

After having a drive die on me completely after just 4 months, I would definately go for 2 drives (which I have now)and use something like Norton Ghost to make a clone copy of one.

I run two drives, both excatly the same, which maybe somewhat over the top to some people, but after losing one drive and having a new mobo installed all in the space of 6 months (on a machine under a year old), I would definately get 2!

wobblymike 22:31 28 Feb 05

I concur with Daz35, as long as you have space in your tower without scrunching them up go for 2. I personally prefer a smaller C Drive say 20 or 30GB to install the OS and all applications and a bigger one 80Gb or 120 GB which I partition to store all my data. I too do a lot of video editing and this configuration is fine for me. 2 x 200 Gb seems a bit heavy to me but whatever.

Daz35 01:28 01 Mar 05

Agreed.

I use 2 drives and partition each one using partition magic. I have a partition for video, one for music and one for photos, and then a master and slave with the OS and day to day bits and pieces.

It looks a bit complicated in my computer, but works well once you get used to it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…