hard drive for old pc

naggis 16:51 12 Oct 03

My second pc is a 166 pentium. The 4.3 hard drive has just failed. I would like to get the machine going again for the least money. Are there any small, cheap drives still available? Where? Will my machine be able to use a 20Gb or 30Gb drive if I did fit one?
Any advise would be very welcome

gregori 17:16 12 Oct 03

Small cheap drives? Try click here there are loads to choose from.
20 - 30 Gb ? If it ran a 4.3 then these should also be OK but you might need a drive utility to "FDISK" and format it from the manufacturers website.

pj123 17:20 12 Oct 03

It all depends on your BIOS. You may find that the maximum you can have is 8gb. You will also find it very difficult to buy a disk as small as that these days, except maybe a boot sale or computer fair.

goonerbill 18:39 12 Oct 03

would go to the web site of the motherboard makers site and see what updates they have for the bios, to see how big a hard drive you can install. to use bigger hard drivers ya might need to get a pci-ide card.

the prices for a 20gb+ hard drive are about half the price for a 120gb hard drive.

heres a good site for hard drive prices and all thing's pc
click here

LastChip 18:46 12 Oct 03

Even if your motherboard/BIOS does not support it, most major drive manufacturers have a "Layering Program" available, to fool the BIOS into believing it can support the drive.

In the case of Maxtor, it's Maxblast, and other manufacturers will have their own versions.

graham√ 19:41 12 Oct 03

Seek out your local corner shop computer man. They will let you take away a hard drive for a fiver deposit, sale or return. A fair price would be £10. As LastChip, Maxtors are easy to instal with Maxblast.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…