hard drive not showing in bios

denso50 15:22 PM 18 Apr 12

Hi, I have an Acer one netbook that wont boot,the hard drive isn't showing in the bios,I presume it is broken. I have installed Linux on a USB stick and booted from that,no problems.The Linux os sees the hard drive so why cant the bios? Does that mean the hard drive is OK and there is another problem.

lotvic 20:22 PM 18 Apr 12

can the Linux os browse the files on the HDD?

denso50 09:07 AM 19 Apr 12

Hi, no I cant browse the hard drive,it just shows on computer hardware. I can run a bench test on it through the linux os on the usb stick.That seems to be ok.I have taken the drive out and reseated it,still the same,I am pretty certain it has given up,its an ssd drive.

lotvic 19:38 PM 19 Apr 12

ssd drive - sorry I don't know about them so wouldn't know what if any tests to run.

Will have to wait for someone else to respond who knows what to advise.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:06 PM 19 Apr 12

SSDs will respond to same tests as a normal HDD just don't defrag them as it shortens the life of the drive.

Don't think there is a chkdsk facility in linux can you attach to another PC and run CHKDSK /f/r

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The 14 most useless gadgets of all time: nauseating, crappy and downright silly technology, from a…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Google Maps for web gets a Material Design-inspired makeover

New Apple TV 2015 release date and UK price: buy from Apple in late October, in store in November