Hard Drive Not Seen

I have just reinstalled WinXP to a new HDD and my plan was to put the previous C: drive back in as the slave so I can copy some files across.

However, the previous drive is not seen in My Computer though it is seen at startup. I have encountered this problem before but I can't remember what I did to get around it... nor can I find the answer on the previous threads but I'm sure I have seen it.

jonnytub 18:43 16 Jan 04

go to control panel, administrative tools, computer management, in the tree select disk management, click on the drive your looking for and enable it (right click)

Smiler 18:45 16 Jan 04

Did you alter the jumper on the old drive to slave?

jonnytub 18:47 16 Jan 04

must have altered jumper if it is seen in startup I think!

The jumpers were ok.

When I go into disk management and right click on the disk, the only options I get are "delete partition..." and "help". It has a dark blue bar like the system drive but it is shaded unlike the system drive.

and when I click to the left of that bit, the dialogue box shows "use this device (enable)". So what after that - do I have to restart?

Does anyone else have any suggestions about how to make my PC see the slave drive that was previously the master. It still has stuff on it that I don't want to lose just now by reformatting. The two drives are seen at the BIOS stage and in disk management but only the master is seen in My Computer.

hugh-265156 00:22 17 Jan 04

if your now slave drive has an operating system on it then you wont be able to see it from within xp i think.

connect it as master again and backup any data you wish to save then format it with fdisk and replace as slave again.

i may be very wrong.

Brian-336451 03:08 17 Jan 04

If you use Powertoys, its possible that the TweakUI has got drive D turned off.

If that's the case just go into the Setup of TweakUI and tick the relevant drive.

On a different tack, does the drive show on the boot screen as being a slave to the Primary EIDE drive.

Try changing the hard drive to the other EIDE cable and leaving it as a master, even disconnecting any CD drives 'in the way' until your data transfer is complete.

Just thoughts, not gospel. In the past I've had the problem and it was TweakUI. ie finger trouble.

TweakUI?

I still haven't got it to work. My main HDD is now a Western Digital and not only will my PC not see the Seagate that was the master before as the slave now, but, when I put in a Maxtor HDD as the slave, the damn thing won't even see the master never mind the slave.

I have tried this with the master jumper set to master without slave and master with slave and, for each of these, the slave jumper set as slave and as cable select (what is that?). Can someone suggest a remedy?

Also, what is S.M.A.R.T.? It certainly doesn't seem to be anything that should be attributed to my PC or my PC knowledge!

Finally, is there a file that e-mails are stored in? I thought there might be a .pst file that I could copy from my previous HDD to my new one but I couldn't find one by using search.

hugh-265156 23:22 18 Jan 04

im not well up on this but as above i think your problems are the HD still has an operating system on it.when it installed as slave you wont be able to see the other contents on the drive.

when you connected it again as master did you put it back on the correct end of the ide cable?

the cable select setting means if you are using an 80 wire cable the drive will be automatically set as master or slave depending on which end of the ide cable its put on.

im sure there is other ways to keep the data but what i would do is,put it back as master and create a complete image of it to the new HD using acronis,ghost or drive image.or create the image on cdr and then put onto the new drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac