Hard drive not recognised by XP

oberon 17:04 31 Dec 06

After up grading my sons computer with an ASUS AV8-VM m/board, the hard drive is no longer accesible. The BIOS sees the drive but XP does not. I have been to the maxtor website, the drive is a Maxtor 4D040H2, and used their ideas for using the drive manager, but XP does not recognise it as existing. Yet if I place it in my own system there is no problems. Any ideas anyone.

wotbus@ 17:20 31 Dec 06

When you place it in your own system, is it in addition to the HDD already there? If so, Windows will recognise it as extra storeage.
Does son's PC work normally except for the fact you cannot access the HDD manually via "My Computer"?
If so it has to be an OS problem and maybe a Repair Install will sort it.
Apologies if I am teaching you suck eggs, but normally the OS has to be re-installed if a major component like a mobo is changed.

bremner 17:24 31 Dec 06

The installation of XP on the hard drive is in effect tied to the specification of the old motherboard and will not work on the new motherboard.

You should be able to reinstall Windows back over itself without loss of data. However I would never do so without backing up any important data first.

oberon 18:08 31 Dec 06

Many thanks for replies. When the system was rebuilt and the drive didn't work, I used an older Maxtor 12Gb drive and did a new full install of XP, then tried to add his old drive to do a clone to make the larger drive the prime as it is faster than the old 12Gb one. Yes when in my system it is in addition to the current drive as in his system. Whe using the other drive hi system is working ok if a little stuttery on sound if any moving images on the screen.

oberon 18:08 31 Dec 06

Many thanks for replies. When the system was rebuilt and the drive didn't work, I used an older Maxtor 12Gb drive and did a new full install of XP, then tried to add his old drive to do a clone to make the larger drive the prime as it is faster than the old 12Gb one. Yes when in my system it is in addition to the current drive as in his system. Whe using the other drive hi system is working ok if a little stuttery on sound if any moving images on the screen.

Rtus 18:22 31 Dec 06

as stated earlier changing mobo for system drive stops it booting ( different chipset - etc drivers )do check the hard drive drive jumper settings .you can if correctly configured copy the drive (drive to drive ) using the smaller 12gb drive you have new installed winxp on to the original larger drive.but they must be set as master and slave respectively. the original smaller drive will be hidden on completion .unless you define otherwise.its then simple matter to rejumper the larger drive to master placing it ontothe correct ide cable header to reboot , if the drive cannot be found by windows to boot ,check its partition is set to active with partition magic or similar.

woodchip 18:52 31 Dec 06

It will not stop it booting if there is nothing on the drive. It as to be a Hardware Problem. BIOS or Drive settings Also check the Cable with a new one Plus the MOBO may be faulty. on the IDE sockets

woodchip 18:53 31 Dec 06

Try the Drive on the other EIDE socket

woodchip 19:01 31 Dec 06

Also as Above you need to clear the Drive if it still as the Operating System on it. As it needs the correct drivers for the Motherboard Hardware.

oberon 10:38 03 Jan 07

Many thanks to all. I used the secondary IDE link and the drive was seen. Repartitioned through manager then used Acronis true image to clone the new drive. Then removed old drive and refitted new drive as the prime. All now tickety boo, well almost!! sound probs with DVD, but that is another thread.

Thanks to all

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…