Hard drive not recognised by windows

terry486 18:00 01 Nov 09

I have an Packard Bell Easynote R1935 notebook serial number:702211960233 and have had to change the hard drive. I have fitted the hard drive which is shown in the BIOS but when I install windows and get as far as pressing enter to install windows which is XP home I get the following message.
"Setup did not find any hard disc drives in your computer.
Make sure any hard disc drives are powered and properly connected etc."
The new hard disc is fitted correctly."
How can I get windows to recognise the hard drive?
Please help.

Forum Editor 18:15 01 Nov 09

the new drive is correctly formatted, and you have double-checked the connection.

If the drive is recognised in the BIOS but not by Windows setup it may be that you haven't set the drive as the first boot device. It may not be initialising in time for the installer to see it.

woodchip 18:43 01 Nov 09

If its a Sata Hard Drive the Drivers may need loading first for Windows to see it

woodchip 18:46 01 Nov 09

Normally Windows loads Generic Sata drivers when windows is first loaded, also windows should setup the drive if it can see it. It should not need you to do nothing other than Boot with the Operating System CD then choose Setup.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:18 01 Nov 09

When installing XP to a SATA drive you need to load the RAID/ SATA drivers at the F6 prompt at the beginning of the XP setup.

XP expects them on a Floppy disk if you have no floppy drive then the only way is to slipstream your drivers and a copy of XP using nlite to burn to a CD
nlite
click here
tutorial
click here

terry486 15:50 02 Nov 09

The hard drive is IDE not sata,it is not formatted as it is not recognised by windows. It is fitted correctly and I am using a genuine version of XP.

woodchip 17:33 02 Nov 09

Not all make of drive will work in all Laptops, So that once I think many years ago in in PCA Forum. Thats why When I updated a Medion Laptop Drive I took the Old one out to see what it was. A Hitachi drive, I fitted a 60Gb to Replace a 30Gb nothing wrong with old drive other than it was a slow and small drive

Quiller. 19:05 02 Nov 09

What was the size of the old drive and what is the size of the new one.

Quiller. 19:17 02 Nov 09

the notebook was shipped with either a 50, 40 or 20Gb hard drive.

The XP disk you are using, is it the PB recovery disk XP disk
or a full microsoft XP disk?

GaT7 19:23 02 Nov 09

Where did you get the replacement drive from? Does it respond to a diskpart command? It may not have the correct Master boot record (MBR), but you can give it one...

After the initial 'Setup is loading files...' phase it'll come to a section with 3 choices.

The 2nd choice is: 'To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R' (as an example, see 3rd screenshot at click here).

Choose this Recovery Console option & at a command prompt type - diskpart & press Enter.

It should give a list of hard drives/partitions.

Press Esc & at the command prompt type - format C: (where C: is the main partition) & press Enter. Press Y & press Enter to agree with the format.

When the format completes, press Esc & at a command prompt type - exit & press Enter. The PC should now reboot.

Once your back to the point with the 3 options, choose the 1st option to install Windows. It should now recognise your hard disk/partition & install Windows as normal. G

Deekio 21:33 02 Nov 09

terry486,
These are the installation instruction for your hard drive:- click here
Pay particular attention to setting thejumpers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…