Hard Drive Not Recognised By Dell

beastieboy 10:11 07 Aug 03

Sorry if this is the 2nd time it's posted but...

I have a problem, the system doesn't recognise the hard disk. This is what I have done so far:

Put it as slave in other computer and it worked, tried again, didn't work.

Formatted main part of drive on other computer, tried again, didn't work.

Formatted all the drive including Dell Utility section, tried again, didn't work.

With the above 3 I tried:

Using Master and Slave Cable on IDE 0, then using Master and Slave on IDE 1, tried again, didn't work.

The CD drives seem to work ok as when putting a Win XP CD in, the initial screens come up but when it comes to ask installation, I press enter but yet again no hard disk can be found.

It is seen on other computers, why not the Dell one? I think it's the 8200 Model.

Cheers,

Janusz.

Lozzy 11:28 07 Aug 03

Could be a faulty cable or the cable has come loose. Try another cable and/or re seating it.

beastieboy 12:02 07 Aug 03

Hi,

doesn't show up in BIOS - says nothing there! I have set it to auto and have done every config of cables, masters, slaves and jumpers but it seems that the drive just won't work on the system. The drive works as slave in 3 other computers I tested - even under Linux! I have tried putting the CD drives on same IDE channel and cable and they all work, just not the hard drive!. Tried doing the XP stuff of booting, chkdsk, fdisk etc but the HD is just not recognised!

Many thanks for your help though, any other suggestions?

Janusz

Philip2 12:13 07 Aug 03

What make is your hard drive?? it isn't a Westen Digital is it?? you could have a duff drive.

beastieboy 12:22 07 Aug 03

WD it is but the drive has been working over 1 year in the same system just recently started playing up and it works on other systems as slave.

Janusz

Philip2 20:32 07 Aug 03

What type of computer do you have i have looked at the type you said and the 8200 comes up as a NOTE BOOK TYPE!!!!! in which case this drive will never show up or it's the wrong model you have given.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…