Hard drive not recognised!!

Advent3511 13:59 04 Jul 03

Hard drive not recognised!!

I have just got hold of this old PC, I removed the hard drive to see what it was then refitted it, and then tried to boot the PC , but it just hangs were it says PCI device Listing...
and at the bottom it says Verifying DMI Pool Date...

System spec:
Windows 98se
Inter celeron 400 (Socket 370)
32 MB SDRAM DIMM PC100
Sparkle Power Micro ATX PSU
Chaintech 6wiv Barebone
IDE Hard Drive: Samsung SV0432A 4.3GB
Booting sequence
Floppy, CD-ROM, HDD-O

xxxx1968 15:14 04 Jul 03

if ur comp loads in bos make sure u named the hard drive"c:" for example..if not u can name it from there..

Jamie.com 16:01 04 Jul 03

How?

-pops- 16:09 04 Jul 03

Did it work before you removed the drive?

Have you put the drive back exactly as it was with its cables inserted properly in the correct orientation and pushed full home?

Did you have to move anything to get at the hard drive (cables etc)? if so, check they are all back where they should be.

Jamie.com 16:11 04 Jul 03

Did it work before you removed the drive? Yes it was fine.

Have you put the drive back exactly as it was with its cables inserted properly in the correct orientation and pushed full home? Yes

Did you have to move anything to get at the hard drive (cables etc)? if so, check they are all back where they should be. No

-pops- 16:18 04 Jul 03

Straw clutching here but is the jumper(s) still in place on the drive?

Did you accidentally touch any of the circuitry/PCB on the drive when you took it out?

As well as checking cables at the drive end, check them at the motherboard end as well.

Jamie.com 16:24 04 Jul 03

I have check it all, and it all ok. I'm now doing a Surface Scan and it telling me that Some date is stored in a damage area of drive C.
So im doing the Fixing Problem were I keeo having to press "Fix It"

-pops- 16:27 04 Jul 03

From your latest post, it seems that your drive is recognised after all.

In these circumstances, can I recommend that you do a fresh install of the operating system?

sil_ver 16:31 04 Jul 03

Is the BIOS battery ok. As it's an old PC it could about to give up.

Jamie.com 17:44 04 Jul 03

-pops- I did try to fresh install of Window 98, and when it come to the "Restart the Computer" bit, it restart ok untill it come to the Scan error, the it says that there is a problem with drive C.

-pops- 17:53 04 Jul 03

I think we are confused here.

Your original post said hard drive not recognised. Now you're saying that you are getting scan errors.

Can you decide which problem you have, please?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…