//some 3rd party need geo

hard drive not recoginised

homer1309 17:09 13 Apr 05

not really sure where to start with this one...i have a computer with a broken hard drive so i have bought a new one, problem is the computer will not recoginise it. however my main pc will. the older ps is about 5 years old with an intel celeron processor.....HELP....wohat am i doing wrong or what do i have to do to get the new hard drive seen. please ask if i need to supplt more info....cheers for the help in advance,,

Jak_1 17:15 13 Apr 05

I take it that the hdd has been formatted and has an os on it?

Try having a look at ther settings in setup, usually F2 key on bootup and see if it is enabled.

homer1309 17:24 13 Apr 05

no it has not yet been formatted and there is no opperating system on it...when placed into the pc at start up it just keeps comming up with no hard drive installed. it has the correct jumper settings because if i put it into my other pc then it see's is straight away.

dan11 18:03 13 Apr 05

What make and size is the new hard drive?

What size is the old broken hard drive?

What operating system do you wish to put on the new hard drive?

homer1309 18:15 13 Apr 05

new drive is a maxtor 40gig
old drive is weston digital 8.5 gig
i would like to put xp pro onto it but i do have the option to put on me as a last resort

Rayuk 18:46 13 Apr 05

Have you used fdisk etc to partition and format it,or you can download software from Maxtor to do the same thing.You wil need a startt up floppy disk to do this,or if you have WinXP disk use that to partition and format it.

homer1309 18:48 13 Apr 05

i cant get that far as it cant see the new hard drive from boot up

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:54 13 Apr 05

Set the PC to boot from CD 1st

Enter BIOS (del) during boot up select 1st boot device CD rom 2nd HDD.

Boot PC with XP cd in drive let it run through and select install system XP will inspect and format the drive before installing to C:\windows

woodchip 18:56 13 Apr 05

As it's a old computer You should go into BIOS and Auto Detect the drive and if there is a set to LBA enable it

dan11 18:57 13 Apr 05

If you are certain you have set up the drive right.

I would guess your bios may be limited in the size of hard drive you wish to use.

Bios limitations are usually 2gig, 8gig, 32gig etc.

There may be a quick way to find out if your bios is limited to 32gig. Look at the settings on top of the hard drive. Has it got a setting for a 32 gig limitation jumper. If it has, try this setting. is it recognised in the bios?

The other option would be to download the Maxtor maxblast software. click here

This will give you instructions on how to fool the bios into accepting a larger drive.

homer1309 06:36 06 May 05

thanks for the help herr guys, the answer for this was that there was a jumper setting on the hard drive that capped it to a 32 meg instead of the 40 that it was supposed to be. unfortunatly it dosen't make it clear what its for if you buy an oem version as you don't get any instructions with it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…