hard drive not found

Elwell 12:24 22 Aug 04

After problems with XP I decided to reinstall as I hadn't before had trouble reinstalling 98. Wish I hadn't. It got so far then said it could not find hard drive. Checked CMOS settings - this is where my knowledge runs out - IDE Primary set as DVD; slave as CD; Secondary master and slave both none. Could not change them. The Gigabyte board has autoscan but it did not find drive. The only thing I have been able to change is boot order. Have run some software such as Test Disk and Norton Disk Doctor from CD. They report no problems of any kind. Any help in pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated as I have no idea what is needed. Any further info about this (new) machine I can find if needed.

Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:31 22 Aug 04

Your hard drive really needs to be on the primary master, not sure why yours is set with DVD /CD on primary.

Switch off, unplug, open case and swap IDE cables on motherboard.
Also check cables are secure in all drives.

Reboot into Bios and auto scan for drives again should now find your hard drive as primary master dvd as secondary master and CD as secondary slave.

Dorsai 12:37 22 Aug 04

If the IDE primary is a cd rom, could the HDD's be on a raid IDE setup?

That is how My pc is. The DVD is primary master, the CD secondary master, and the HDD's are on raid controller.

If this is tru, a normal install of XP wont find the HDD(s), as it will need SCSI and RAID drivers loaded durind the setup process to allow XP to see the Raid/scsi HDD's. these drivers normally come on a floppy. at some pint during the setup of XP you are prompted for the option to install these drivers.

click here to find out when they are required, and to if i remember, down load them too.

Elwell 14:51 22 Aug 04

Thanks to Fruit and Dorsai. Dorsai was right - it is a RAID IDE setup and a message does come up to load RAID drivers but its at the bottom of the screen for a short period and I was so busy trying to keep up with the rest of the screen that I hadn't noticed! It appears to be installing ok now. Many thanks.

Elwell 14:51 22 Aug 04

Thanks to Fruit Bat and Dorsai. Dorsai was right - it is a RAID IDE setup and a message does come up to load RAID drivers but its at the bottom of the screen for a short period and I was so busy trying to keep up with the rest of the screen that I hadn't noticed! It appears to be installing ok now. Many thanks.

Dorsai 17:03 22 Aug 04

Hapiness is a solved problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…