Hard drive noisy & XP Boot-up anomolies

corc2 13:23 23 May 04

When i boot up, around the time the XP Home splash screen appears, the Hard Drive makes a strange drumming or grinding noise twice then seems to be ok. Also, about 1 in every 5 boot ups windows appearance changes - the start menu is different and the taskbar is a sandy colour rather than the normal blue. (I have not made any changes to the appearance and I am the only user).Also no sound drivers are loaded. If I restart, the computer hangs and I have to reset to start up again. Usually everything is back to normal. If, as I suspect, the Hard Drive is knackered would I be better laving the PC on all the time until I replace it? HDD is a Seagate Barracuda ATA IV 80GB. And if I do replace it do I have to do a clean install of XP on new HDD and will I be able to copy files from old one to new?

AndySD 13:29 23 May 04

Start by using Seatools...to check the drive.

I just added a new 80 gig Western Digital drive to my system and using the Western Digital tools (from their website, I am sure others will have similar) partitioned the drive in windows and then copied the c drive contents over the program then made this the c drive. Simple

AndySD 13:30 23 May 04

click here seatools

corc2 13:33 23 May 04

Thanks for the quck advice AndySD.

Stuartli 13:40 23 May 04

First thing is to get it backed up ASAP - forget anything else until you have done so.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…